Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

With the turn of the page we have a brand new year and 365 days just waiting to be filled with our creative efforts. To get this year off to a great start I began by sewing the January blocks for the Happiness circle at Do Good Stitches. It's all about the flying geese this month:

Although I am the only one who would realize it, I pointed my geese south when I took this photo because it was -14 at the time and any self-respecting bird would be moving in that direction as quickly as possible, I'm sure (please take me with!).

I have spent my day off sewing and making the rounds of the blogs, checking out what everyone else is posting on this, the 1st day of January 2014. I see wonderful mosaics of projects finished in 2013 and I see lots of resolutions for the new year ahead. I am not one to make resolutions and I don't tend to write a lot of "to-do" lists anymore because I can usually remember what has to be done if for no other reason then because it's right up in my face as a constant reminder. But doing all this reading did cause me to reflect on a few things:
  • Right now, my favourite fabric designers are Lizzy House and Carolyn Friedlander.
  • I enjoy contemporary design but I am also enjoying making very traditional quilt blocks with current fabrics (see above!)
  • I really like blogging and would like to be here more frequently but I have struggled to make time to sew enough so that I actually have something to write about and the photos to go with.
  • I would like to write something of substance this year, be it a guest post, a series of posts, a tutorial, or even something submitted to a print publication. While I am not sure how to go about applying my writing talent to my creative endeavours I do know I have been gifted with the ability to write and my instructors and mentors have always advised "write about what you know" - it's time to start doing that on a big broader scale.
  • No fabric fast for me - at least none is in the planning. I will be adapting my buying habits to account for backgrounds - I don't tend to be purposeful in buying those but it would be nice to have a couple options on hand for when inspiration strikes.
  • My sewing space is getting a bit of a reorganization right now. It is not overly messy but I think I can always do better at utilizing the space I do have and finding more efficiencies in the way I store my tools and supplies.
  • And I do want to get better at photography, something that would likely go much better if I hadn't left my camera in the stateroom on a cruise ship back in November...phooey on that. My daughter bought a new camera at a Boxing Day sale and is anxious to practice to perhaps my fabric and projects would be an interesting enough subject to catch her attention while I figure out my next move in the camera department.
It will be interesting to see how I feel about this list a year from now but today, it's a start. Happy New Year, everyone!
e.



3 comments:

  1. The flying geese are wonderful! I am doing this block for a different group I'm in. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sad about your camera, what are you thinking of buying to replace it? I am looking at DSLRs and once I decide what I want, I will get it, because the battery in my point and shoot isn't lasting very long anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this fabric design is absolutely beautiful.
    to get more fabric design in weaveron textile.
    click on this http://www.weaveron.com/.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS