Wednesday, October 17, 2012

WIP Wednesday

This week I have a couple things to show for WIP Wednesday. First up is Chopsticks, a pattern by Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts. I have been reading Julie's blog since sometime in 2011, I think. I enjoy her posts and her photos are incredible! I have liked this pattern since the day Julie first posted photos of it on her blog. I have had the pattern for some time and was just waiting for a good time to start. The pattern is very well written; I am impressed! It is printed on good quality paper in booklet form. The text explanation and the accompanying diagrams are just excellent. There are lots of tables to help you see how many strips or pieces you need to cut, depending upon which size you want to make (there are several size options). I think I would buy her patterns just for the quality of the pattern itself!

My quilt is the lap size version and my fabric is Indie by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery Fabrics with one Oval Elements print thrown in and a variety of solids. The pattern calls for just one colour of solid throughout. I have to confess, I got impatient and didn't do my due diligence when I ordered my solid. I purchased my fabric from the nice people at Hawthorne Threads and any time I have ever emailed to ask them to match something for me, they have, and it looks awesome. I don't know why I thought I could match my own solid in this case, but I didn't ask, I just ordered. The fabric I got is nice, but the colour is just not the look I was after. Again, being impatient, I didn't want to re-order, so I decided I'd use 4 different solids which I was able to pull from my stash thanks to last year's Monthly Solids Club at Pink Chalk Fabrics. All year, they sent me the loveliest 1/2 hard bundles of solids so I had just the perfect colours on hand!



I had never used Art Gallery Fabrics before but I like them. At first, they felt very light and I thought maybe a bit flimsy, but I was very wrong. They are indeed, very light, but they have a tight weave and a gorgeous hand. They feel like a polished chintz when you rub your hand the surface - so luxe!

The other project I have is my first ever bee block! I am so excited to belong to the 4x5 bee. I am making Cartwheel blocks using the template provided by Lee at Freshly Pieced. I had never done this type of piecing before but it wasn't difficult at all and I am happy with how the block turned out. It is quite fun to make and I can picture it in all different colour combinations.



I'm excited to be linking up with WIP Wednesday!

e.


3 comments:

  1. I have only used a few Art Gallery fabrics, but you are right, they are great! I'm thinking about making myself a top out of one of them. The beginnings of your quilt looks fun. And after reading about what you do for your job it makes total sense that you appreciate all the details about her pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your version with all the different solids involved.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS